Skip to main content

Modric: We made bets about Ronaldo

Modric, 32, admits the exits of Ronaldo and Zidane in the off-season took everyone associated to Real by surprise after their integral roles in the hattrick of UEFA Champions League titles.
"I didn't expect it for either of them [to leave]," Modric told France Football. "I didn't think Zidane was going to leave, same thing for Ronaldo.
"Actually, when the rumour about Cristiano came out, we made bets between us in the dressing room and we were convinced that he would stay in the end. But everyone makes their own choices in life."

On his chances of breaking the Ballon d'Or monopoly of the Portugal captain and FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi, the Croatian playmaker refused to claim he 'deserves' the most coveted individual honour in European football.
"Truth be told, I don't like that way of talking and saying: 'Yes, it's me who deserves the Ballon d'Or'," he said. "The important thing for me is to be on the pitch as I have been for months now.
"This year, 2018, has undoubtedly been the best of my career and my only objective is to keep going on this path, on this trajectory. You're not going to get me to say: 'It's me who should win it.' That is up to the experts who vote. It's in their hands."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cardiff 0 Spurs 3: Kane creates record with goal against Cardiff

The England captain continued his remarkable run of form to kick off 2019 just as he defined 2018 for club and country. It seems Harry Kane just can’t stop scoring right now, as the Tottenham Hotspur striker fired another goal in against Cardiff City on New Year’s Day to write a little bit of history. By opening the scoring against the Bluebirds, the England captain not only started 2019 as he ended 2018, but added another club to the list of Premier League sides he has found the net against. In fact, Kane’s effort against Neil Warnock’s side now means he has scored against all top-flight opposition he has played against. The 25-year-old, who was awarded an MBE in the New Year’s Honours list following his contributions to the national side at the World Cup in Russia last year, also equalled the record for the most Premier League goals scored on January 1. His early strike took him up to a tally of five, drawing him level with fellow leaders Andy Cole and Steven Gerrard. His e...

Breaking- United sacks Mourinho

Manchester United announces that manager Jose Mourinho has left the club with immediate effect," a statement read. "The club would like to thank Jose for his work during his time at Manchester United and to wish him success in the future. "A new caretaker manager will be appointed until the end of the current season, while the club conducts a thorough recruitment process for a new, full-time manager." Mourinho replaced Louis van Gaal in the United hotseat in the summer of 2016 and was tasked with leading the 20-time English champions back to the top of the domestic game after a barren three years since Sir Alex Ferguson's appointment. He started well, winning the Community Shield in his first match in charge before claiming the League Cup thanks to a Zlatan Ibrahimovic-inspired 3-2 win over Southampton. Form in the league was not as strong, however, with the Red Devils only able to finish in sixth place, though their season did end on a high as a 2-...

Manchester United win again as Pogba scores another brace

Manchester United closed to within three points of Arsenal thanks to another impressive display in a 4-1 win over Bournemouth. Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba were the stars of the show once again as they led the way in Manchester United's 4-1 win over Bournemouth, securing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a third successive win since taking charge. United continued to play with the freedom and zip which has so far characterised the post-Jose Mourinho era, with Pogba and Rashford - who have impressed under caretaker boss Solskjaer - key components as the Red Devils wrapped up 2018 by closing to within three points of fifth-placed Arsenal. A moment of inspiration from Rashford saw Pogba open the scoring early on for the home side, and the pair added further first-half goals to put United in a commanding position. Nathan Ake decreased the deficit just before the break, but Romelu Lukaku - back from compassionate leave – marked his return by scoring in the second half, with the only disappo...

Man City back to winning ways but still behind Liverpool

Pep Guardiola's side were much improved as they bounced back from consecutive defeats at Southampton, but they must do more ahead of Thursday's clash. The reports of Manchester City's demise are greatly exaggerated. Sure, Pep Guardiola's side were not quite at their brilliant best as they beat Southampton, but they showed more than enough to prove that there is plenty of life in them yet. Whether they have enough to win the Premier League title this season is another matter, however, and depends as much on Liverpool as it does City. And with the two sides set to face each other on Thursday night in what could be a pivotal match in the season, we are soon to learn exactly how well City have recovered from their two bruising defeats over Christmas. Compared to the performances against Crystal Palace and Leicester City, this was much, much better. In those defeats City looked starved of creativity in attack (by their high standards, anyway) and brittle at the back....

Man United defeats Newcastle to earn their fourth win in a row

The Norwegian threw on his two big-name replacements and was given immediate rewards as United beat Newcastle on Wednesday with two late goals. Whether it’s playing the opposition off the park or delivering the key decisions at the vital moment, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot seem to do any wrong right now. This wasn’t a vibrant attacking performance full of goals and showreel highlights like the trio which had preceded it, but Manchester United’s 2-0 win over Newcastle United at St James’ Park on Wednesday night gave further proof that Solskjaer has injected something new into his side’s make-up. In throwing on players as talented as Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez for the final half-hour, the United caretaker manager must have known there was half a chance his substitutes would deliver. But the former Everton man’s immediate opener, and then the involvement of both replacements in Marcus Rashford’s clinching second, would have delighted the man who made his name as a super-sub ...

Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1: Liverpool handles Arsenal with an iron hand as Fermino scores hat-trick

Liverpool thrashed Arsenal at Anfield on Saturday, as Roberto Firmino scored his first Premier League hat-trick. Roberto Firmino was at his ruthless best as he scored his first Premier League hat-trick to inspire a 5-1 demolition of Arsenal at Anfield and put Liverpool nine points clear at the summit after Tottenham's defeat to Wolves. The visit of Unai Emery's men was seen as a potentially troublesome fixture, but the Reds made light work of them, with all of their revered front three finding the net in a devastating performance. A chaotic five-minute spell in the first half saw Ainsley Maitland-Niles put Arsenal ahead, before a quickfire Firmino brace turned the score around. Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah ensured a rampant Liverpool went into the break 4-1 up. Liverpool's pressure did not subside after half-time and Firmino completed his treble from the spot 25 minutes from time, rounding off a miserable day for the Gunners and increasing the heat on Manchester Cit...

Tottenham closes gap after demolishing Everton 6-2

Harry Kane and Son Heung-min starred in a remarkable and breathless 6-2 Tottenham win at Everton on Sunday. Tottenham produced a devastating display of attacking football as Son Heung-min and Harry Kane inspired the 6-2 hammering of Everton in a Premier League Christmas cracker, moving Spurs to within two points of Manchester City. The past week had been dominated by speculation linking Mauricio Pochettino with the Manchester United manager's job, and Spurs' attack-minded showing at Goodison Park showed exactly why the Argentinian is a front-runner.

Hazard talks about leaving Chelsea after Watford win

Chelsea star, Eden Hazard, has brushed off talk of an imminent move to Real Madrid, by insisting he wants to become a legend at Stamford Bridge. Hazard netted his 100th goal for the Blues, in their 2-1 victory at Watford on Boxing Day. The game was finely poised between the two London teams before Hazard burst clear, set on his way by Mateo Kovacic and he showed composure to round Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster to reach his century in a Chelsea shirt. The Belgian scored his 101st from the penalty spot in the second half, ensuring Roberto Pereyra’s strike was just a consolation. Speaking to Sky Sports, Hazard said: “(The 101 goals) mean a lot especially because we won today. “One-hundred-and-one goals with this amazing club is something I will never forget! “Now I think me, the fans and players want more. I want to score more goals for the club and want to be a legend like (Frank) Lampard, (Didier) Drogba and try to be my best. “My target is to score goals and try to win the g...

Chelsea held to a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge

Southampton left Stamford Bridge with a well-earned point after holding depleted Chelsea to a 0-0 Premier League draw on Wednesday. Chelsea produced a toothless display as they were held to a 0-0 draw at home by struggling Southampton and lost Willian to injury in the process. Maurizio Sarri reinstated Alvaro Morata to the team with Olivier Giroud ruled out, yet the service to the Spaniard was poor as Saints dug deep to hold on for a well-earned point. A tame first half passed with few flashpoints, though Chelsea did see Willian forced off on the same day the club announced the signing of Christian Pulisic, who will arrive at the end of the season. The home side had a Morata goal controversially ruled out for offside late in the second half as they failed to win at home for a second successive outing, following on from a shock 1-0 reverse against Leicester City on December 22. It took Chelsea 33 minutes to craft their first meaningful opportunity, Hazard finding space in the l...

Chelsea completes the signing of Dortmund Striker, Christian Pulisic

Chelsea have signed Borussia Dortmund forward Christian Pulisic for 64m euros (£58m), but will loan him to the German club until the end of the season. The 20-year-old United States international, who was linked with Liverpool and Arsenal, joined Dortmund as a youth player in 2015. Pulisic has scored nine goals in 23 games for the US. “It was always Christian’s dream to play in the Premier League,” said Dortmund director Michael Zorc. “That certainly has to do with his American background, and as a result we were unable to extend his contract. “Against this background, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract maturity.” Pulisic’s contract at Dortmund was due to expire in June 2020. .

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *